Why does it take so long to search?
The time it takes to display your search results depends on several factors:
- Your computer platform
If you are on a Macintosh, you may have to wait up to 30 seconds for your search results to display. This is due to the slow speed of Apple's Java on the Macintosh.
- Number of search results returned
The more specific your search terms, the fewer documents will need to be displayed.
I see the "Retrieving Search Results" screen, but I never get any search results.
For the search engine to work, there are several requirements:
- The latest version of Java installed and enabled
How do I install and enable Java?
- A compatible web browser
- Windows: Internet Explorer 6 or newer, Opera 8 or newer or Mozilla-based (Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox) browser
- Macintosh: Safari 1.3.1 or newer
- UNIX/Linux: Opera 8 or newer, or a Mozilla-based browser
If you meet all these requirements and still do not get search results, the cause might be one or more of the following:
- The most frequent reason for this problem is not having a more recent version of Java installed. Download and installation instructions are available here.
- If you have an older computer or a Macintosh, it may take up to 30 seconds to display search results. Try waiting for at least a minute.
- You may have Java installed but not enabled.
Copyright ©2008 Omnipress. All rights reserved.